Public radio station KUER 90.1 has an opening for a weekend operator. This person is responsible for managing the broadcast of national programming and local station breaks. The ideal candidate will be familiar with the quality and tone of public radio and be comfortable speaking on the air in an appropriate, clear and conversational manner. Prior broadcasting, announcing, theatrical or public speaking experience may be helpful. The position requires the operation and troubleshooting of broadcast equipment, prompt attention to breaking news coverage, technical problems and other unexpected situations. Live recording and audio production may be required as needed. This position is an ongoing, part-time weekend shift at KUER 90.1, with other weekend or weekday fill-in shifts assigned as necessary.
Saturday from 3-8
$9.00 - $10.50
1. Operates the broadcast control room as assigned.
2. Upholds strong on-air presentation and announcing standards.
3. Maintains the station program log during on-air duty hours.
4. Verifies the recording and integrity of network programming during regular shift.
5. Checks program material scheduled for air during duty shift to be certain all elements are available.
6. Locates missing program elements or notifies responsible party as necessary.
7. Complies with FCC rules and regulations.
8. Fills in for absent hosts on an as-needed basis.
9. Assumes responsibility for access and use of station facilities in the absence of a senior staff member.
10. Assumes responsibility for simple maintenance and troubleshooting of the broadcast facilities.
11. Notifies responsible personnel of any equipment failures.
12. Alerts responsible personnel to special coverage/breaking news and broadcasts and monitors special broadcasts as necessary.
Minimum of six months experience with radio, TV or Internet-based broadcast operations or similar technical and/or presentation-based field.
High School diploma or equivalent. Minimum of six months experience with radio, TV or Internet-based broadcast operations or similar technical and/or presentation-based field.
An enthusiasm for public radio and an active listener. Familiarity with the mission and style of public radio and programs from National Public Radio, Public Radio International, American Public Media, Public Radio Exchange and KUER. Solid announcing skills, appropriate to listenership. Proficiency with broadcast equipment and audio production.
The University of Utah is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and educator. Minorities, women, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans preference. Reasonable accommodations provided. For additional information:http://www.regulations.utah.edu/humanResources/5-106.html.
The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse backgrounds, and possess a [strong or demonstrated] commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801) 581-7447.
Final candidates will be asked for audio samples/air checks. If none are available, candidate will be asked to record material at KUER’s studios.