Plans and implements inventory of IT equipment and spares within UIT, ensuring stock levels are optimized, critical parts are kept in stock and surplus parts are retired in accordance with University of Utah policies. Responsible for creation of inventory tracking database and asset tagging system. Audits inventory on a regular basis to identify losses and performs root cause analysis to mitigate future losses. Develops policies and procedures for the team. Provides support to UIT staff who rely on this inventory. Ensures UIT’s inventory needs are being met. Supervises staff and ensures team knows what their goals are, monitors their performance to ensure customer satisfaction levels are maintained at highest levels, and addresses any performance issues in accordance with established criteria.
Monday - Friday: 8AM - 5PM
$37,900 – 55,000/yr DOE
1. Oversees daily inventory control operations and coordinates inventory program activities.
2. Helps select, develop and implement an inventory management system with clearly defined goals and objectives.
3. Ensures inventory system is maintained and regularly reviewed for errors and exceptions.
4. Monitors inventory control methods for quality and effectiveness and researches improvement methods.
5. Manages inventory budget; monitors and approves related expenditures and ensures budget goals are met.
6. Advises staff, students and others regarding inventory control policies, goals and related technical issues.
7. Prepares reports, financial statements and records on inventory holdings and any inventory issues for management.
8. Supervises inventory team, currently 2 staff, to ensure performance levels are achieved and high level of customer satisfaction is achieved.
Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education). Four to six years of progressively more responsible management experience. Background knowledge of hiring department’s area of specialization in order to analyze, plan and draw conclusions for recommendations to superiors. Demonstrated leadership skills in planning and directing employees and processes in order to effectively monitor and develop subordinates and to ensure the smooth operation of department.
Master’s degree in a related area may be preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation. The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801) 581-7447 for information.
This position provides independent coordination and decision making for all activities related to inventory control. The program outcome often impacts the University as a whole. Acts as a liaison between UIT and the rest of the university involved in inventory control activities. Problems arising from these coordination efforts will be addressed by the manager for issues outside of UIT inventory control policy and procedure guidelines.