Breaking Big Airs on KUED This Summer
Breaking Big, a 12-episode documentary series premiering Friday, June 15 at 7:30 p.m. on KUED, explores the unexpected journey to success of some of the world’s most influential artists, innovators, political leaders, athletes, authors, and entrepreneurs. The show takes the place of KUED’s The Hinckley Report while it is on summer hiatus.
Hosted by Carlos Watson, an Emmy® Award-winning journalist and co-founder and CEO of OZY.com, Breaking Big explores the twists and turns on the road to thriving careers for notable figures in various fields. The series of 30-minute documentary films traces the unusual paths followed by 12 talented men and women – from The Daily Show host Trevor Noah and former Fox News anchor Gretchen Carlson to Oscar-winning director Lee Daniels and chef and restaurateur Eddie Huang – who overcame nearly insurmountable obstacles and long odds to reach and re-imagine their own potential and, ultimately, to break big.
The series will include analysis from eminent social scientists, marketing experts, film critics, book editors, and others to show the risk-taking and bold moves these journeys require.
Breaking Big kicks off on June 15 with The Daily Show star and comedian Trevor Noah as the first guest and subject. The 12 celebrities and influencers profiled in the series, in broadcast order, include:
- Trevor Noah − Host of The Daily Show on Comedy Central
- Eddie Huang − Chef and restaurateur, author of Fresh Off the Boat
- Danai Gurira − Actress and Award Winning Playwright (Black Panther, Walking Dead)
- Jason Aldean − Country music superstar
- Ruth Zukerman − Co-founder of SoulCycle and Flywheel
- Christian Siriano − Fashion designer
- Roxane Gay − Author and cultural critic
- Michael Strahan − Host of Good Morning, America and former NFL star
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand – U.S. Senator, New York
- Lee Daniels − Academy Award-winning director, Precious
- Gretchen Carlson − Former Fox News anchor and Miss America
- Carmen Yulín Cruz − Mayor of San Juan, Puerto Rico
“PBS is known as the home for compelling stories that engage and inspire,” said Marie Nelson, Vice President of News and Independent Film for PBS. “We know audiences will love Breaking Big, a series that offers a compelling look at the many roads to success, pulling back the curtain on the public figures and entertainers we admire to reveal our shared humanity.”
“The paths leading up to a game-changing career are varied and rarely without setbacks and lucky breaks,” said Carlos Watson, the host of the series and co-founder and CEO of OZY.com. “The series will explore the various roads to and definitions of success, examine the qualities of people who have achieved mastery in their field and, we hope, serve as inspiration to the next generation hoping to ‘break big.’”