Utah Symphony Music Director Thierry Fischer, who conducted the symphony on its tour, introduces National Park Symphony, which was shot on location over four seasons in Zion, Arches, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, and Canyonlands National Parks.
Produced by KUED’s award-winning Carol Dalrymple, the film features both grand vistas and secret locations. Primary photographers were Gary Turnier and Nick Vincent with additional footage from John Howe.
Musical selections include:
- "Szene am Bach (Andante molto mosso)" from Symphony No. 6, Op. 68 "Pastorale" by Ludwig van Beethoven
- "Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune" by Claude Debussy
- Largo from Symphony No. 9, Op. 95 "From the New World" by Antonin Dvořák
- "Majesté du Christ demandant sa gloire à son Père" from L’Ascension by Olivier Messiaen (With the permission of Alphonse Leduc and G. Schirmer Inc.)
- "Bryce Canyon et les rochers rouge-orange," "La Grive des bois," and "Zion Park et la Cité Céleste" from Des Canyons aux étoiles… by Olivier Messiaen (With the permission of Alphonse Leduc and G. Schirmer Inc.)
- Adagio from Symphony No. 2 by Sergei Rachmaninoff
- "Danse religeuse" and "Lever du jour" from Daphnis et Chloé by Maurice Ravel
- "Dreams and Memories" from EOS by Augusta Read Thomas (with the permission of G. Schirmer Inc., a Utah Symphony commission)